The term 'marveller' was coined in 'Art and Creativity in Reggio Emilia' (2010). In the book, the author Vea Vecchi explains that Loris Malaguzzi saw teachers as potential “professional marvellers” of children. How important it is to keep that innate spark of learning and creativity alive. Henceforth, here I chart my journey to become a professional marveller: a thinker, a researcher, a collaborator and co-constructor of what we call learning.

(Unfortunately, due to a change in my Gmail account some of the images have disappeared and are no longer visible- I might replace them... one day...)

Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Agile leadership and learning

How can be integrate students meaningfully as the key stake holders of learning? Currently our education models stills continue the top down content delivery system: teaching to the test, either NCEA or curriculum levels. There is still reluctance (by teachers) to bring in students into the planning process. There is demand from set curriculum (e.g. NCEA or feeling 'safe' on redoing or re-working a unit) and also from how schools plan their learning units. The Waterfall model of education.

E.g.


However, there is an alternative.  An agile framework would involve the stakeholders, the students to drive the content and the teacher would become the 'enabler' to help resource and explain concepts in real time. This can be a scary concept. How will I find resources? (Yeay, digital age!) Do I feel confident delivering the content? I wonder if that is the real fear. Here is a collaborative task that shows our take on the Agile Manifesto.


Lean Education: getting feedback and teaching on a need


From Dr David Parsons (Mindlab)




Kanban- Visual Cards that enable the pull and flow of learning.



Agile leadership:
- Fcailitate
- Remove obstacles
- Encourage reflection
- Enables others to self organise
- Create a safe environment
-Servant Leadership (Bowman, 2005 Teacher as servant Leader. Clearing House: Journal of Educational Strategies).
- Ongoing improvement while working in the system they are in. What is working? What needs to change?

How could this change our current planning model? Agile adaptations in orange.


Reflection: Agile leadership and learning are fascinating! It's collaborative, adaptive and purposeful (I also loved the 'lean' concepts). I found this great website of an Agile Classroom with loads of great resources and ideas to use or adapt.

Next: I'm going to try implementing an itinerating agile learning blended model with my Te Reo Extension class.  Here is some of the feedback I got from my last  3 session blended learning unit (Te Huarere- the weather) so keen to super charge our next learning focus.




No comments:

Post a Comment