(Source- http://www.slideshare.net/kowhai/dats-presentation-2011-deliberate-acts-of-teaching)
My communities of practice (CoP) are quite varied! My immediate CoP is my colleagues at school, some of whom I already work collaboratively with projects to extend our repertoire through activities such as team teaching. This CoP provides the immediate challenge to my boundaries (Wagner, 2000). Also my learners in class challenge me to keep reflecting on my teaching and improving so as to best meet their needs. In This CoP I am a leader delivering staff Te Reo Māori PD, I am a contributor to my syndicate planning and an active member.
I also interact a lot on Twitter, in particular through #digitaledchat, #edchatnz, #BFC630NZ, #includED and #ldrchatnz. These communities stretch my boundaries outside of my known world (Wager, 2000) and help me to develop expertise that is beyond school achievement or projects. I contribute regularly to scheduled discussions that create Wagner's conditions 'enterprise' , 'mutuality of social capital' and 'repertoire.
The joint enterprise is defined by the topic of the regular Twitter chats, however, all communities spark further topics for inquiry and conversations as members of Twitter post outside of the chats. The mutual social capital (Wagner, 2000) is the vast expertise that a range of educators, from all over the globe, contribute to the discussions. The shared repertoire is created by the suggestions and debates of topics and key questions posed, and also by the willingness of all to offer solutions and problem-solve effectively. There is, at times, the temptation to continuously innovate and stretch my boundaries beyond what is reasonable and possible as noted by Boud and Walker (1998 as cited in Finlay, 2009).
The benefit of being an active member on Twitter is that many educators share their expertise and ideas, so I am forever finding ways to create new possibilities to adapt my practice. At the same time, my contributions help to spark further possibilities for others. The following Twitter exchange is an example of one member sharing their expertise and of me contributing which in turn has created an opportunity for both of us to stretch our boundaries of expertise and lead by creating new community of practice:
I have also been contributing to the #NZReadaloud community by participating with my students in a joint national book reading project that lasts two weeks. In this project, I am a newcomer and a contributor. The shared goal has been clearly established through blogging the activities from each of the participating classes, creating the enterprise through having the obligation to participate with my students and make regular posts of our work. Through our contributions, I (and my students) have been able to stretch my boundaries (Wagner, 200) and expertise while at the same time feeling supported to do so from the feedback and inspiration that is growing the communal repertoire of all involved in the project.
Lastly, Mind Lab is a CoP that has stretched my boundaries the most. Through the +Google community now that we are online, I have been able to join discussions based on our joint domain of topics and assignments, and so help to contribute and create a space for repertoire to develop.
It has been very interesting to participate in communities of practice outside my physical one at school. CoPs that remain open to new possibilities are essential (Wagner, 2000) for growth, and they have helped me to grow enormously is a short period of time by helping me reflect on my practice and challenge my assumptions about teaching and learning (Finlay, 2009). Discussion and debates trigger critical thinking while at the same time enabling me to evaluate what is of value in my practice, what needs to change, what can be innovated and also providing means to find support to do so.
A more important aspect of finding a variety of CoPs to be part of, is that it has motivated me to not get too comfortable with my practice, to challenge it more, and to find new possibilities and solutions. To step outside my 'forest' and feed from the knowledge that is just outside it.
References:
Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. PBPL. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/files/opencetl/file...
Wenger, E.(2000).Communities of practice and social learning systems.Organization,7(2), 225-246
The benefit of being an active member on Twitter is that many educators share their expertise and ideas, so I am forever finding ways to create new possibilities to adapt my practice. At the same time, my contributions help to spark further possibilities for others. The following Twitter exchange is an example of one member sharing their expertise and of me contributing which in turn has created an opportunity for both of us to stretch our boundaries of expertise and lead by creating new community of practice:
I have also been contributing to the #NZReadaloud community by participating with my students in a joint national book reading project that lasts two weeks. In this project, I am a newcomer and a contributor. The shared goal has been clearly established through blogging the activities from each of the participating classes, creating the enterprise through having the obligation to participate with my students and make regular posts of our work. Through our contributions, I (and my students) have been able to stretch my boundaries (Wagner, 200) and expertise while at the same time feeling supported to do so from the feedback and inspiration that is growing the communal repertoire of all involved in the project.
Lastly, Mind Lab is a CoP that has stretched my boundaries the most. Through the +Google community now that we are online, I have been able to join discussions based on our joint domain of topics and assignments, and so help to contribute and create a space for repertoire to develop.
It has been very interesting to participate in communities of practice outside my physical one at school. CoPs that remain open to new possibilities are essential (Wagner, 2000) for growth, and they have helped me to grow enormously is a short period of time by helping me reflect on my practice and challenge my assumptions about teaching and learning (Finlay, 2009). Discussion and debates trigger critical thinking while at the same time enabling me to evaluate what is of value in my practice, what needs to change, what can be innovated and also providing means to find support to do so.
A more important aspect of finding a variety of CoPs to be part of, is that it has motivated me to not get too comfortable with my practice, to challenge it more, and to find new possibilities and solutions. To step outside my 'forest' and feed from the knowledge that is just outside it.
References:
Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. PBPL. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/files/opencetl/file...
Wenger, E.(2000).Communities of practice and social learning systems.Organization,7(2), 225-246









A pertinent quote to end with Ximena. A little bit chicken and egg situation? And need to be certain time given for the professional learning so doesn't overtake your personal life. Twitter must be the biggest CoP out there!
ReplyDeleteHi Ximena,
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting read. I really liked reading about you using Twitter to connect with other Spanish teachers and using Skype to connect the two classes. I might try that for my junior Science classes.
I enjoyed reading your post -and like the others who commented really impressed by your utilising of twitter to connect with others on mutual areas of interest. I have a colleagues whose twitter decks run wild so have talked them about how they engage but also how they get other work done - they link to quite specific sites ( not all interesting - some they say full of garbble) are then are quite selective about how they engage - I was impressed- the visuals were pretty enticing! your discussion made me realise I have to get moving on these things - though I am a bit of a lurker and not a great user of social media - even of face-book - so thanks for the inspirational and interesting read and I liked your integration of Wenger and your practices.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post -and like the others who commented really impressed by your utilising of twitter to connect with others on mutual areas of interest. I have a colleagues whose twitter decks run wild so have talked them about how they engage but also how they get other work done - they link to quite specific sites ( not all interesting - some they say full of garbble) are then are quite selective about how they engage - I was impressed- the visuals were pretty enticing! your discussion made me realise I have to get moving on these things - though I am a bit of a lurker and not a great user of social media - even of face-book - so thanks for the inspirational and interesting read and I liked your integration of Wenger and your practices.
ReplyDelete