Ko te manu e kai ana i te miro, nōna te ngahere
Ko te manu e kai ana i te mātauranga, nōna te ao.
The bird that partakes of the miro berry reigns in the forest
The bird that partakes of education reigns in the world.
Diversity comes in so many hues and shapes: gender, cultural, sexual orientation, physical and learning ability or challenges, age, sporting or intellectual pursuits. It is the human kaleidoscope in all its myriad of expressions.
In New Zealand, cultural diversity is a subject fraught with a cultural narrative of historical Māori repression and dispossession, hence not an easy conversation to have. For any colonised country this is not an easy subject to come to terms with. In fact, by all accounts New Zealand has been a trailblazer in terms of attempting to develop a true partnership between Māori and the crown in comparison to other colonised countries.
Personally, standing from the perspective of a migrant, I would say we are still a long way off from being truly bicultural but we've made a start. As an educator, I'd like to see more Māori success being celebrated in a variety of ways so that all children in Aotearoa see the strengths in Te Ao Māori as part of their world and celebrate them as well.
(Dr Ocean Mercier, source http://www.listener.co.nz/current-affairs/science/maori-influence-in-science/ )
Diversity needs to be visible and we need to be active about making it so
Diversity IS all about the role models we see in our environment. Gender bias, for example, is a cultural imprint. We need to actively find gender bias in our practice and dismantle it because the harrowing fact is that 1 in 3 girls we teach will suffer some type of abuse as our society still perpetuates an acceptance of female subjugation covertly and overtly.
A few years ago, while training my preteen class for athletics, I noticed the girls barely attempted to throw a vortex when training. Worse, one of the boys said to another boy "You throw like a girl!" I pulled everyone together and mentioned that this was quite a high compliment. They looked at me completely perplexed (I knew it wasn't- but oh, how I love it when cognitive dissonance leads to change!) and one said:"No, it means to throw badly." I said, "Well, you know Valerie Adams?" Nods were followed by a discussion of her achievements. "Well," I said, "She throws like a girl!" More perplexed faces. "She IS a girl. So if you say to someone 'you throw like a girl' what you're saying is that they throw like Valerie Adams!" Cue smiles and nods. That session we all said "Throw like girl!" to mean what it does: throw as hard as you can, and the girls threw as hard as they could. Later on, I made this poster to put up on our wall, and I made a point to eliminate all gender bias from my room such as reorganising all our books alphabetically instead of boys here and girls there.
As teachers, we are in a unique position to add value to the diversity of our learners and affirm it strongly. I remember the day during a group reading session when we were reading about elephants. The term 'matriarchal herd' came up and we discovered it meant a family of elephants where only the females bring up the babies. I saw one of my student's face light up and I said, "Yes, like your family." She said, "Yes, I have two mums! It's like my family!" She positively glowed with this realisation and since all the other children already knew, it affirmed the fact that families come in all types.
Another time I arranged a student struggling with (and rebelling against) the rigours of managing Type 1 diabetes to visit a teacher with the same condition to swap struggles and stories. Or the time a dyslexic student attended a lecture by the amazing Matt Strawbridge and saw himself as having potential despite the frustrations he often faced in class.
Acknowledging diversity and sharing it makes learners who don't fit the 'norm' feel validated and included. It dismantles the notion that there is a single 'normal' anyway.
Acknowledging diversity and sharing it makes learners who don't fit the 'norm' feel validated and included. It dismantles the notion that there is a single 'normal' anyway.
This is another wonderful example of how visible diversity can empower children:
Promoting diversity leads to student empowerment,
and empowerment leads to student engagement.
As educators, we need to promote and affirm the world of our learners and at the same time gently expose the hidden pitfalls of accepting a singular or monocultural view of the world so that not only they find their place of strength, but more importantly, support others who are different from them to do the same.
"Be the change you want to see in the world."




Another excellent read. Loved your response to the 'throwing like a girl'. I work in an institution where announcements are like " hey you guys'( sometimes to 400 odd students at once!), or 'guys' is preceded by a salutation.. the world is created by 'men' or everything is 'manmade' .. I am a rabid feminist from the 1980's and I am still confounded by how often I still have to address the fact that I am a woman, that I am damn sure I know what James Brown was saying when he sang "It a man's world", and that women were and will also contribute to production of all kinds! The young learners do get it when I say, but am not sure if my feminist self is out of kilter with contemporary feminisms - some of the biggest offenders call themselves feminists - or bad*rse feminists.
ReplyDeleteBut aside from feminism great to read a post that addresses other marginalised groups. Thanks