The term 'marveller' was coined in 'Art and Creativity in Reggio Emilia' (2010). In the book, the author Vea Vecchi explains that Loris Malaguzzi saw teachers as potential “professional marvellers” of children. How important it is to keep that innate spark of learning and creativity alive. Henceforth, here I chart my journey to become a professional marveller: a thinker, a researcher, a collaborator and co-constructor of what we call learning.

(Unfortunately, due to a change in my Gmail account some of the images have disappeared and are no longer visible- I might replace them... one day...)

Saturday, 29 April 2017

3D Education: Simplifying in complex times

When I began teaching, education looked something like this:

In this basic 2D context of learning, I was tasked with using assessments to support the learner to progress in the little microcosm of education called a classroom. But times have changed and the truth is that there are no good old days to reminisce.

So now education, at times, looks something like this:
In comparison to when I began teaching, the system I operate in has added complexity and depth. My context has become much more 3D and involves being connected in multiple ways to many other microcosms as well as the ever expanding educational and societal macrocosm (even six-year-olds make passing comments on world politics these days!).

The impact of being able to invite the wider community and whānau through blogs and digital access to learning has increased the dimensions to operate in. We can collaborate with anyone anywhere given the right circumstances. The classroom without walls is a concept that is as exciting as it can be overwhelming.

Added to this is the availability of a range of learning design tools such as flexible learning spaces, collaborative teaching combined with an endless variety of digital tools and learning modalities. Like a veritable smorgasbord of possible teaching flavours with endless experts telling me which is the better one and promising so many exciting results, where do I start? Where will it end? No wonder teachers are spooked or enamoured depending on where you stand.
But let's get back to the original pyramid. Here is a brief brainstorm of the new facets of possibilities from the 3-dimensional shift that came to mind:
I could have kept adding more and more points of intersection by unraveling the heady mix of countless possibilities from 21st century learning design tools alone that could then forever fractalise into more possibilities. Keep adding more points of intersection and the shape will become ever more complex with each facet appearing more intricate through sheer volume. I could end up with a wonderful rhombicosidodecahedron cataloging and linking the many influences that come into play in education today.

(Source https://www.flickr.com/photos/amafirlian/345827858/)

Beautiful. But too complex to be conducive to practical application. So then, how does one remain focussed and effective in the ever increasing complexity of our learning environments?

(Right here is where I try to avoid a metaphor but fail, again. I love them)

Sail with me as I navigate the vast educational sea of possibilities in my good ship of educational aspirations.

The Sail. Keep it simple. Simplicity is at the heart of any complex system just as algorithms define our understanding of the universe. Be clear about the Why, How and What just as a rhombicosidodecahedron is made up of only three basic shapes. Remove the unnecessary, or muda (lean design concept), on an ongoing basis or it will slow everybody down.

The Rudder. Steer towards what matters most. Just as minimalists can co-exist in an environment of unsatiated consumption so can I exist and navigate the increasingly complex dimensions of the educational landscape if I reflect and on what makes the most difference to the learners in front of me. What matters most for them may not be what matters most for other learners.

The Compass. Like any vessel, in education there needs to be a method to point the way forward. To navigate an ever increasing complex system it pays to have a simple yet strong compass. For now, I can simplify it to three main concepts that I look for when considering a new application. It is an organic conceptual algorithm of sorts:

Student Voice: Creating opportunities for 'student voice' puts the learner at the centre of all that occurs in learning. Without it there can be no true agency, empowerment, personalisation, constructivism or authenticity.  How do I know if what or how I teach is making an impact? Mosts tests are one dimensional but student feedback or self-assessment is not. Is what I'm doing allowing me to gauge student's understanding in an authentic way? 

Challenge: Critical thinking, analysis, problem solving, logic and reasoning, progress, goals, metacognition. Whatever we do, it has to provide a degree of challenge that suits the learner. Like water, the level of challenge can nourish as much as it can drown anybody; teachers and learners alike. Does what I'm doing provide an appropriate degree of challenge?

Creativity: Learning is a creative pursuit. Learning is creating new meaning from understanding. Memorisation is not. I do prefer learning to memorisation any day and I do hope the distinction becomes clearer in education, i.e. when we're teaching for memorisation vs when we're designing for learning. I keep memorisation only if it's absolutely essential. A great article on this is here. Will learning design allow the learner to understand and create new meaning?


Despite the complexity of 3D education, I wouldn't want to return to a 2D model. Even though there are no easy answers to complex problems,  there are simple ways to deal with the essential when we're clear about what that is. How to do that becomes the new challenge.




No comments:

Post a Comment