The term 'marveller' was coined in 'Art and Creativity in Reggio Emilia' (2010). In the book, the author Vea Vecchi explains that Loris Malaguzzi saw teachers as potential “professional marvellers” of children. How important it is to keep that innate spark of learning and creativity alive. Henceforth, here I chart my journey to become a professional marveller: a thinker, a researcher, a collaborator and co-constructor of what we call learning.

(Unfortunately, due to a change in my Gmail account some of the images have disappeared and are no longer visible- I might replace them... one day...)

Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Design Thinking In the Classroom

We discussed Design Thinking at Mindlab this week. Looks like the holy grail of creative learning, especially inquiry learning. The empathy component was particularly relevant and it is essential for meaningful developing collaborative skills.

Hard to be an effective collaborator without empathy! I have worked with amazing teachers who lacked that empathy and it was tough to get their ideas off the ground. Upon reflection I have also been guilty of that myself, so this has been a real wake up call about how important it is to have that step included in any innovative approach when getting a project off the ground.

This applies even to how I innovate in the classroom, and it's making me more aware of how empathic and inclusive I am when designing change in the classroom. How much consultation or student voice do I use?

Best learning: Don't celebrate failure, celebrate learning from it.
Best fail: Getting too enamoured with celebrating failure as a way to help those 'afraid to fail' students. I need to remember Carol Dweck's wise words (Quartz interview) “Some educators are using it as a consolation play, saying things like ‘I tell all my kids to try hard’ or ‘you can do anything if you try’.”

Next Projects: Read "Launch" by A.J. Juliani (Great blog!! http://ajjuliani.com/blog/)
Try a design thinking cycle in class.



Readings:
Carol Dweck- The Stanford professor who pioneered praising kids for effort says we’ve totally missed the point- Anderson, J., Quartz Jan 2016. Retrieved from: http://qz.com/587811/stanford-professor-who-pioneered-praising-effort-sees-false-praise-everywhere/

Change by Design- How Design Thinking Transforms Organization and Inspires Innovation.
Brown, T. (2009). Change by design.


No comments:

Post a Comment