The term 'marveller' was coined in 'Art and Creativity in Reggio Emilia' (2010). In the book, the author Vea Vecchi explains that Loris Malaguzzi saw teachers as potential “professional marvellers” of children. How important it is to keep that innate spark of learning and creativity alive. Henceforth, here I chart my journey to become a professional marveller: a thinker, a researcher, a collaborator and co-constructor of what we call learning.

(Unfortunately, due to a change in my Gmail account some of the images have disappeared and are no longer visible- I might replace them... one day...)

Thursday, 17 March 2016

Mind Lab Session 1

What a wonderful first session! One of the most valuable aspects of collaboration is the ability to percolate ideas and watch them slowly synthesise new growth. There is a fascinating aspect about engaging in the bouncing of ideas where I can almost hear neurons rushing to make connections and suddenly a cascade of thoughts leads to illumination (for any neuroplasticity fan out there, you can read about the brain's ability to exist in self-organised criticality).


Highlights of session one:
On Epistemology and the Purpose of Education
- Discovering the terms for different types of epistemology and how I see aspects of my teaching philosophy align to them.
- Considering how societal, financial and cultural pressures can tip the purpose of education in different ways and what the new digital frontier offers to education (image from course notes- copyright of Mindlab).


















On Thought Leadership and Followership:
- I had never noticed the importance of 'the first follower' . In essence, it has made me notice how crucial collaboration is for creating change. One question that did arise for me was: do we just follow because it becomes the 'done thing'? At which point do we stand back and critically observe rather than follow? ( I did find the last part of the video kind of weird- is that how Donald Trump has got this far?)

Am I a thought leader? Yes. I encourage my students to the autonomous and independent, to question and disagree. We co-construct our classroom culture and I encourage it to evolve. I strive to make the learning of skills and knowledge relevant to their needs. We do, on occasion, dance like crazy too.



No comments:

Post a Comment